02 May 2006

Beauty in decay


Beauty in decay, originally uploaded by dgray_xplane.

"Decay has spent most of its long but ignored history on the dismal periphery. In the past few years, however, urban decay has experienced a modest reexamination. Decay has become the aesthetic adhesive uniting a disparate group of writers, artists, photographers, musicians and their respective communities. Decline and decadence has provoked an ongoing, interpretative dialogue with the past. "

-- From "Everything falls apart" by Ryan Bigge, writing in broken pencil.

Keep in touch! Sign up to get updates and occasional emails from me.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dave,
I love your blog, but please create another one for your paintings & photos - its not why I come to "communication nation".

Anonymous said...

Beautiful!

I like this.

I like grunge.

Hey Dave, Try checking our reboot at http://metamorf.blogspot.com, and leave your comments.

Unknown said...

Anonymous --

I think I understand what you mean. I suppose it's not possible to please everyone with every post.

Think of the paintings and photos as artworks on the wall of an office building. It may not be why you come to the building, but many people do enjoy them.

The New York Times has a crossword puzzle, and the New Yorker has cartoons, not because it's part of their mission, but because it's part of their identity. Communication Nation has paintings and photos, and that's part of the blog's identity. It's also part of what makes blogging fun for me.

I hope you keep coming regardless! And please tell me why you DO come, and what you want to see more of!

TheTart said...

I visit because I am curious, natch!

Smooch,
The Tart
; )